Families

The Tapkov Family

The first known representative of Tapkov family is Dimitar Konstantinov Tapkov (11.11.1842 - 1.06.1899) from Enidje Vardar (Giannitsa, Greece). He and his second wife Vasilka K. Tapkova had 5 children – Dragan, Kyril, Blagoy, Hristina and Gloria (Slava). Dimitar K. Tapkov was a teacher in the Bulgarian Exarchate's schools in Lerin (1874-1876), in Prilep (1882) and in the Guiraud-Bertrand’s boarding school of the boys' high school in Thessaloniki (1882-1884). Dimitar Tapkov had been teaching in the Bulgarian Catholic Seminary of the Lazarists in Zeitenlik in the vicinity of Thessaloniki until 1897. He was buried in the Thessaloniki’s Catholic cemetery.

Dimitar Tapkov’s firstborn son Dragan graduated from the Academy of Arts in Naples and in Architecture from Rome. Kiril graduated in Classical Philology from the “La Sapienza” University in Rome. They both devoted themselves to the teaching career in Bulgarian Exarchate's schools in Macedonia and after the fateful 1913 settled in Bulgaria. Their youngest sister Gloria (Slava) took a diploma in teaching from the school of Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent De Paul in Thessaloniki (1914) and subsequently taught in the “St. Joseph” Catholic College in Sofia.

Dimitar Konstantinov Tapkov was born in Enidje Vardar (today Giannitsa near to Pella, the residence of Alexander the Great). There is no information about his father and two brothers. His eldest daughter Elena was born in Thessaloniki but died when she was only 18-year old. She was buried in the city’s Catholic cemetery in which Dimitar K. Tapkov would want to be laid.

Being early widowed, he remarried to Vasilka K. Mircheva, who originated from Prilep. She gave birth to their son Dragan in the same town but the rest four children were born in Thessaloniki in the 1880s-90s.

Dimitar K. Tapkov was a teacher in the Bulgarian Exarchate's schools in Lerin (1874-1876), in Prilep (1882) and in the Guiraud-Bertrand’s boarding school of the boys' high school in Thessaloniki (1882-1884). Dimitar Tapkov had been teaching in the Bulgarian Catholic Seminary of the Lazarists in Zeitenlik in the vicinity of Thessaloniki until 1897. From a social point of view, he was among the educated and not wealthy Bulgarians, who accepted the idea of church union and identified himself as a Catholic. His heirs characterized him as an activist in the struggle for elimination the use of Greek language in the church service and for installation of Bulgarian clergymen in Kukush (1859).

сем.Тъпкови Солун 1911

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                               

Tapkov Family-Thessaloniki 1911. Standing: Blagoy, Gloria, Kyril; Seated: Hristina, Vasilka, Olga with Alichka, Dragan with Dimitar.

All his children were educated in the schools of the Lazarist Catholic order and of the “Brothers of Christian Schools”, as well as in those of the female congregation of Saint Vincent De Paul in Thessaloniki. Dimitar Tapkov’s firstborn son Dragan graduated from the Academy of Arts in Naples and in Architecture from Rome. Kyril graduated in Classical Philology from the “La Sapienza” University in Rome. They both devoted themselves to the teaching career in Bulgarian Exarchate's schools in Macedonia. The fateful 1913 found Dragan as an Art and Geometry teacher in the girls’ high school in Thessaloniki and Kyril as a teacher in the classical boys’ high school in Bitolya. The Greek troops’ occupation of Thessaloniki forced them to emigrate. Till that time they had taken part in the Masonic lodge “Thessaloniki’s star”, being convinced that they were enlisted in the noble national cause of free Macedonia. The Masonic movement developed in Bulgaria after the First World War and the two brothers renewed their activity till the time they were disappointed and voluntarily withdrew from it.
Their youngest sister Gloria (Slava) took a diploma in teaching (1914) from the school of Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent De Paul in Thessaloniki. She was a respectable teacher in the Catholic college “St. Joseph” in Sofia.

Search